Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just Someone... :)

When you have someone, you have everything. :)

The much-used phrase "No man is an island" pops in my head now... The phrase is so ordinary. Composed only with five simple letters. But the meaning is most likely deep. It is profound and needs a more critical mind to agree with the message it bears. During my elementary days, the phrase was associated with playmates. You really can't have fun if you are just playing alone. The sweet laughter that playing brings can only be acquired when you have friends around. Playmates who can also play the games you would like to play. Childhood friends who will be willing to be tagged just to save you from being the "it" always. :)... See how sad for a child it would be when the clock will strike on 6:00PM and only sends a message that it's time to go home.

When I was in highschool, I take the phrase as an ingredient of a successful organization. Being able to hold a high position in the school's Student Government, I always give importance to the word "teamwork"... The word can't be done when you are all alone. You need helping companions who will share their expertise and skills to make the work easier... I always emphasize to them that when the work is all done by one person, it would take a longer duration and the desired product would never be achieved. That's why they always do their best to help and build. Although there are still some officers that are so unreliable, the number of those who contributed much is enough to let you say "Ah, good job!"... It makes the task bearable and it creates an atmosphere of work that enables the word "industriousness" efficacious in our actions. :)

But now that I'm in the maturing age of my life (Yeah, I'll be turning 18 this April, so I guess it's legal to say it... :D..) I come to change my perspectives and outlook as I hear the famous "No man is an island again..." You only need not someone who could play with you till your mother calls you home. Much more, you need not only someone who could help you make the work easier. But we all need "somebody" who will not only be our playmate, our helper, but also "somebody" who will be a friend, be a companion, be a supporter, be a pain-bearer, be a caregiver (not the occupation) and be a lover. I have taken into my mind that the time I will spend with my family is nothing compared to the time I will spend with the one I will be throughout the eternities. I could only stay for 27 or more years in their side but with my companion, I will be with him for time and all eternity. So, I dare say that the phrase I knew since I was a child is truly correct...

So, how about if in life, you are bound to be alone... My Kyle once told me when I said I would love to be an old maid that "Malungkot maging mag-isa sa buhay..." Indeed. To spend your days alone and without someone to talk to during the golden years of life is very depressing. Sure, it would be fun when your age is on the 20's, 30's or early 40's for it would be fun always partying all around, travelling with friends, being able to buy things you want all for yourself. But when all of the grandeur are finally over, when parties are now limited and when the old hang-out places now belong to another batch of youngsters, and when you have no other choice but to stay in your house and reminisce the past, what could run into your head? When you wanted to tell someone about a wonderful book you have read and no one listens for they are too engrossed with their work, is it not heart-breaking? You feel doomed. You feel that you are all alone now. And no one loves you. You have no husband, no child, and when you get sick, all you have are nurses who would be coming and leaving and changing. And the you would say "How wonderful it would have been if I chose to have someone with me right now..."

It's a beauty to have someone to call "Darling" "My wife" "My Husband "My child"... It's a glimpse of heaven when you are in your seventies and your teeth are now gone, your hair all white, your hands and face wrinkled, your breasts are sagging, your back is arching, and still, a man who have been with you for all the loving years, holds your hand and say "I wonder what you do that you seem to grow more and more beautiful each day..."

Life's truly too short. It is painful. My most favorite quote from the movie "The Notebook" was Noah's realistic words thrown at Allie. Those words stirred me and made me cry. It's a classic and a great picture of how love with somebody can be... It says: "So it's not gonna be easy. It's gonna be really hard. We're gonna have to work at this every day, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, for ever, you and me, every day. Will you do something for me, please? Just picture your life for me? 30 years from now, 40 years from now? What's it look like? If it's with him, go. Go! I lost you once, I think I can do it again. If I thought that's what you really wanted. But don't you take the easy way out."

Life is wonderful when someone's there... Life is complete when you have somebody, even if just one, to show you how much he or she cares and let you feel that life is also incomplete without you... :)

No comments: