Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Complete Circle. :) A Father's Lesson. :)

When I was in grade two, my dad often stayed with me till 9:00PM to have me memorize the different city capitals of each country. I would always blurt out the answer loud when I know it. I would keep on bugging him to tell me more about the world.

"Papa, who's Ann Frank?"
"Why are there American Bases in Olongapo?"
"Is it true that Filipinos trade gold to Chinese Merchants long ago just for silk?"
"Why is it that we have different colors?"

My father never gets tired answering all these inquiries of mine. Even up to now. Well, I really dont ask a lot of questions now since I do the research on my own. But when there are really things that I could not really understand, I would surely still go to him. :)

One recent question I asked him was "Pa, why do rich people become poor at times? Why is it that success isn't consistent? Why is it that we have to fall to achieve it all?" My good father explained it in this way:

"Life is not always a straight line. It doesn't mean that when you are successful at one point, you get all the successes you want all your life. Then, if that would be the case, you will not really distinguish how great a feeling you can have if you can finally have greatness. Like what we learn in church. In everything there is an opposition. Men should experience pain to know what joy is. They should comprehend what failure is to know success. They should feel hunger to enjoy the benefits of a pompous feast. Just like, you should feel the scorching heat of the sun to be grateful of the pouring rain. Life is not a "dot-here-dot-there-and-connect-me-everywhere" scenario. It is a complete circle. When you rise, you could fall. Remember that one inspiring quote says that "No success is final. And so goes with failure". But there is a warning in this Circle. It is very difficult to go up. The tiring journeys, the force you have to overcome, the strength you need to muster in order to get through it all. But have not you observed that it is an easy task to slide down? But it doesn't mean you will always be in the lower stages. If you have committed something and you need to repent, then ask for the Lord's forgiveness and start the journey again. Or if you have been heartbroken, bruised and wounded by life's awful events, learn to stand up no matter how hard it is. Learn to magnify that small bright light creeping in the darkness. Stand up and start the journey again. The people who is undergoing this trial may say that life is being unfair to them. That the Lord has forsaken them. But no. It's a complete opposite. When you are being tested, the Lord's eye is completely focused in you. You are like a dull diamond that holds no luster. But with the trials, you are textured properly, you are carved to perfection and you are a sight to behold. :)."


I have heard these words from my dad in many conferences in which he was asked to speak. I have been listening to these words for years and yet, it still has a great impact for me. I may no longer be asking him "smart" questions, I'm still happy I could get some "witty" answers. :)

Now, I hope life could treat me fair. But should I stay in the image of a dull diamond? Errr, I wont like that. So life, let's get it on! :)

Or maybe I'll try to ask Papa to review to me the different world capitals. I now forget the Capital City of Brunei. :))

No comments: