Monday, November 24, 2008

Knowing our Part...




She was just a dairyman’s daughter
She was only a child of thirteen.
But the stars in the radio brightened her nights
With a dream

So she called her best girlfriend Genny,
Coz she thinks they would make quite a pair.
She said, “Let’s you and me try to sing harmony
In the amateur night at the fair,”

But she only got the range of an alto.
So the part she knew best went to her friend.
And when Genny’s soprano drowned out the piano,
They have to start over again.

And the dairy man’s daughter would then,
Say, “Which part is mine?”
Gen, which part is yours?
Can you tell me one more time, I’m never quite sure.
And I won’t cross the line
Like I’ve done before,
So could you tell me which part is mine,
And which part is yours?”

She grew up and got married to Kenny
Kept him working on his MBA,
And they have two little dark haired children
And one on the way.

Everybody said she could work wonders,
But she wonders what everyone meant.
She played so many roles, it was taking its tolls.
And she feels that her time was misspent.

So she opened her heart to her husband,
They discussed everything on her list.
From the job, to the children,
To her feelings for her Ken
But what really put down to was this:
She said “Which part is mine?
Ken, which part is yours?
Let’s review it one more time, I guess I’m not sure.
I won’t cross the line
Like what I did before.
So please justify which part is mine and which part is yours?”

Every sleepless nights knows many mothers
Who are wondering if they’ve done all right.
And the dairy man’s daughter knew more
Than a few of those nights.

Had she given her son too much freedom?
Had she mothered her two teenage girls?
Had she spoiled them too much or not trust them enough
To prepare them for life in this world?

So she opened her heart to the heavens.
And she spoke of her children by name.
And the prayer that she prayed that her children would be safe.
Had a very familiar refrain.
She said “Oh let’s review this again.
Which part is mine?
God, which part is Yours?
Could You tell me one more time, I’m never quite sure.
And I won’t cross the line, like I’ve done before.
But it gets so confusing sometimes,
Should I do more or trust Thee Divine?
Please just help me define which part’s mine
And which part is Yours.”


Did You hear me?
I can feel You near me.
It is the answer
That I’ve been longing for.

Just to know You hear me
And to feel You near me.
It’s all the answer.
That I have been longing for.

After I have done my best,
I know You will do the rest.

No comments: